By William Deverell, Greg Hise
This Companion comprises 25 unique essays by way of writers and students who current a professional evaluate of the easiest and most crucial paintings to this point at the advanced background of Los Angeles.
- The first Companion delivering a historic survey of la, incorporating severe, multi-disciplinary subject matters and leading edge scholarship
- Features essays from quite a number disciplines, together with historical past, political technological know-how, cultural reviews, and geography
- Photo essays and ‘contemporary voice’ sections mix with conventional historiographic essays to supply a multi-dimensional view of this shiny and numerous city
- Essays hide the main issues within the box inside a thematic constitution, together with demography, social unrest, politics, pop culture, structure, and concrete studies
Read or Download A Companion to Los Angeles PDF
Best state & local books
This ebook explores the relationship among the altering social context of colonial New England and the emergence of political unrest within the years prior to the yank Revolution. not like reports that experience tested progressive job in significant colonial cities, the place it used to be so much noticeable, Professor Nobles's learn specializes in the resources of innovative habit within the geographical region.
New Jersey offers interesting descriptions of existence within the early colony, together with such info because the department of recent Jersey into East and West; the impact of the presence of the Society of pals; the good fortune of farming, which contributed to the state's nickname, The backyard country; and the historical past of slavery within the colony.
A portrait in images and phrases of the realities of lifestyles in a small Maine fishing village.
- Savage Frontier: 1840-1841: Rangers, Riflemen, and Indian Wars in Texas (Savage Frontier)
- Campaigns against corporal punishment: prisoners, sailors, women, and children in antebellum America
- God Bless Texas
- Hayden Fry: A High Porch Picnic
- Founding the Far West: California, Oregon, and Nevada, 1840-1890
- Firearms, traps & tools of the mountain men
Additional info for A Companion to Los Angeles
Whereas Southern and Eastern European immigrants and African Americans constituted the bulk of the ethnic industrial workforce in many Midwestern and Eastern cities, in Los Angeles the dominant labor groups were Asian and Mexican. Thus, as Natalia Molina claims, “people ‘saw’ race differently” (2006: 6). The color line was not simply a case of black versus white, but a much more complex white versus non-white binary beneath which lay a striking diversity. In contrast to the affluent and predominantly Anglo Westside, the Los Angeles east of Main Street was a fluid, kaleidoscopic terrain.
Asian and Mexican laborers in particular transformed the pueblo from a rural idyll into an urban and industrial landscape. And yet in J. Torrey Connor’s tourist guidebook to the city and its environs they remain curiously sidelined from the modern metropolis: the inhabitants of Sonoratown, the city’s old Mexican Quarter, are “people of the adobe” who continue their traditions as the “tide of progress sweeps by,” while Chinatown’s inhabitants are “strangely garmented people, shuffling noiselessly to and fro in their odd, thick-soled footgear … like figures in a pantomime – or a hasheesh dream” (1902: 10, 22).
Ever after, he declared, “it always appeared to me, deep in my soul, that the citizens were the nation” (cited in Beebe and Senkewicz 2001: 346–8). Colonial elites had vested authority in corporate bodies like the military. In the 1820s, civilian Angelenos, spurred on by new migrants from Mexico, offered a new model in which citizens claimed the authority to rule themselves. indd 26 11/19/2009 5:28:31 PM B O R N G L O B A L : F R O M P U E B L O T O S TAT E H O O D 27 By the 1830s, this resentment against centralized military rule had spread up and down California, and led to a declaration of independence, and several oustings of the governor.